Monday, March 26, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 31 (So, Who's Old?)

As an adult, what do you do when a small child says something "bad" about you? This weekend, I was confronted by this when a little girl Brinna's age turned to me and told me another little girl said something "bad" about me. My mind quickly wondered "what on earth did I do?"

Anyway, I did ask my daughter if she knew what was said and, of course, she did. As I discovered, it all revolved around the fact that I'm OLD! Yep, that's all it was. I mean isn't everyone old? Is it "bad" to be old? My eldest daughter is 23 years OLD, my middle daughter is 19 years OLD, my youngest daughter is 9 years OLD. I'm 51 years OLD. We, each of us, is some type of OLD, are't we? It is just a number, though, at its core. So what's the big deal?

Poor Brinna, though, was made to feel like an outcast because her Mom is old enough to be a grandmother. And, I can sympathize because I lived through the exact same thing having an older Mom and a Dad who was 50 years older than me. No, I'm not her grandmother, as some kids might think when they see my gray hair and wrinkles. aah . . .

And, just for the record - I don't think being 51 years OLD is bad - nope. Actually, Brinna and I had a good talk about the whole situation and, with that wonderful resilience of youth, she bounced back quickly. Her joy and acceptance, as always is an encouragement to me. We'll face these challenges together. We're family no matter how OLD we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment