Friday, March 16, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 23 (Remembering Mom)

Today's post is not going to be pleasant. I've known from the very beginning of Lent (Ash Wednesday) that March 16th would come.

And, while I don't normally, annually lament over this date, having to write about it is a totally different matter. For when we put down onto paper or computer screen our most intimate thoughts, then they tend to live with us longer and more deeply. And, I also wondered how those few of you who do read some of posts would react to my random thoughts on this issue.

So, I'm sure you're beginning to wonder what all the drama is about March 16. Actually I've been thinking off and on about the entire week leading up to it as well. It's been merely a few thoughts circulating in the chamber, not intense feelings. Anyway, here it is. Let's get on with it.

March 16, 1998 was the day I became an orphan. While many people might not traumatize over it, I mean I was 37 after all and a mother myself with two little girls. However, there's nothing quite like living through an illness with your parents and then watching for a week while life wanes away, watching their bodies give up. And, frankly, most people enjoy their parents well into their 60s or even 70s. My parents were 42 and 50 when I was born so I knew early on I would have to let go much sooner.

Within the space of 10 short days, I walked with my Mother through an upper respiratory infection, pneumonia, cardiac arrest, and then death. I camped out at Research Hospital in the waiting room for several nights while my husband watched over our girls with all faithfulness. His support and understanding will forever be appreciated for he understood on many levels and had walked the same path only as a very small child.

My oldest daughter, Meghan, messaged me today remembering her Grandma, missing her and sending me a hug. {{hugs}} are so special. And, I'm so glad that my daughter is remembering her grandmother after all this time. My children had only two grandparents and for such a short time - it does grieve me sometimes.

Maybe that's part of why I write. Given they don't have a face-to-face history, maybe I can provide a bit of oral and written history that will be treasured into the future. And, what would more history be without photographs? I ran across this one the other day and just had to share it here because it so speaks to the "lady" my Mom was.

Well, dear reader, thanks for allowing me to share my memories. I just hope my daughters some day will remember me with affection and grace. It's been a Happy March 16th once again. Happy Re-Birthday Mom! Heaven rejoices in your presence, I just know it!

2 comments:

  1. Marty...I love your blog. You are right about your mother in this picture. After knowing you and hearing only some of your stories, this is exactly how I pictured your mother, very grand, a lady of character and grace. Not to mention the darling well appointed young lady walking with her. Blessings to you this week. Happy St. Plant the Potatoes Day as well!
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie~ Glad to hear someone's reading my blog . . and more importantly enjoying it. That certainly means a lot! It's quite a green day, isn't it? Blessings to you too!

      Delete