Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 11 (A False Sense of Peace)

Friday & Saturday have been an adventure in patience and perseverence--the larger than life "P's." While I'm not reticent to reveal all the details of the past 48 hours, suffice it to say that life's always full of fun & interesting challenges. And, life can be very messy and crumbly.

And, I'm sooooo glad that God places people in our lives who show us joy and love despite ourselves. Isn't it grand how God does that?

He even places 10-pound, spotted dachshunds in our lives to humble us, to bring us a good laugh every now and then, and to teach us that there's more to life than a spotless house, a well-ordered day and, well, just about anything else I can think of that spells "the perfect life." As you can imagine, that little phrase doesn't fit my life very well and I'm sure it doesn't fit most any of our lives too well if we're really honest with ourselves.

There they are - my three little angels (or three little musketeers)begging to be let in at the back door. I LOVE dachshunds - from their independent spirits to their loyalty and cuddly natures, I have been hooked since I received my first dachshund when I was six years old.

They are comics through and through. And, when they are sleeping their angelic ways can lull you into a false sense of peace--believing them incapable of any infractions.

However, their mischief-makin' ways are legendary and the last three years our family has discovered that our youngest little piebald short-hair named Suubi is definitely full of shenanigans. If meat or any delectable treat is on the kitchen counter, I've seen her jump as high as any NBA star - at least proportional to her 10" off the ground. Her vertical leap many times exceeds the 36" counter height. While she has never had success with stealing a bite from the counter, she has come close - it's like she has springs for legs. She tends to find more success with food left on the dining room table or somewhere nearer her field of scent. Dachshunds are scent hounds and let me tell you this girl can smell - I've never seen anything like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment