Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 18 (Thoughts on Springing Forward)

What would Spring time be without a reminder of longer, sun-filled days, green shoots and buds-a-blooming?

Tonight when we go to sleep and try to slumber, our internal chronometers will hardly realize what's happening. Then suddenly we will wake up tomorrow and 8 a.m. will reallly be 9 a.m. "Spring Forward" it's called. Or for the scientists among us, it is Daylight Savings Time.

What are we really saving though? Daylight? Time? Electricity? Personally I don't look forward to losing an hour's sleep right now. I much prefer the extra rest that comes in the Fall as we move our clocks backward.

But Spring is nearly here--there's no stopping it, despite the fact that it isn't truly official until March 21. However, this year Spring has been with us most of the Winter as well. This week's forecast here in Kansas calls for highs in the 80s. Unbelievable for mid-March. I can remember many a March when snow still covered the ground and icy winds blew across the prairie hills. Craziness!

But, then I enjoy a little craziness now and then - it keeps life interesting. So, with that said I guess I had better quit being crazy and get to bed now that it's really 1:23 a.m., not 12:23 a.m. like my computer's clock is trying to tell me.

Oh, and I almost forgot - enjoy the extra light tomorrow - it should raise your spirits. I know it will mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment