Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 19 (Preparing for Leprechauns)

Children have such imaginations and my little Brinna is no exception.

As St. Patrick's Day nears, visions of leprechauns are dancing in her head. It must be the double strain of Irish ancestors that populate our family or . . . could it be those silly stories I've filled her head with about leaping leprechauns lose in the nearby woods.

Anyway, whatever it is, yesterday's beautiful weather led her outside on a scavenger hunt for greenery, wood planks, bark and all matter of woody materials to create an abode for the elusive "little people." She spent a good part of the afternoon creating her masterpiece.

On the way to church this morning, we talked about the little house and I found it interesting that it showed a good deal of preparation on her part & expectation that the home would be habitable and "someone" would find his or her way to live within its cozy timbers. Even found a verse from Proverbs that mirrored her efforts: "Prepare your work outside, and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, then, build your house." (Prov. 24:27 NASB)

As if that wasn't enough inspiration, it seemed like a good lesson for me as well. Do I prepare my place for God's coming? Just as His Son went before me to prepare a place for me in heaven, so I should be ready when He comes back for me.

One little eight-year-old is anticipating big things in a tiny dwelling place next week . . . and so should I.

In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:2,3 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment