Friday, March 23, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 28

I just couldn't let the week go by without recognizing the passing of winter into spring. This usually occurs each March around the 20th or 21st - the Vernal or Spring Equinox. So, we have just passed that milestone - Welcome home, Mr. Spring! And it's been a momentous week from that Springtime perspective - I mean come on I think Noah might have just ramped up his building efforts if he had been around this week. The deluge cometh . . . and it came and it still comes.

I'd really love to know just how much rain we've had this week. To satisfy my insatiable curiosity, I've searched on-line and come up a blank, but my dear husband just volunteered to go out and check the rain gauge - so I'll report back in a moment with those results. Ta-Da! The results are in - just under 4". Not sure how accurate our little plastic rain container is, but that's the verdict at least out here on the prairie.

In the meantime, let's talk about the rain a bit. Here in central Kansas, we've just journeyed through one of the driest winters I can ever remember. Snowfall was practically non-existant, thus contributing to the deep crevices throughout lawns, fields and pastures. Most people reveled in this respite from frigidity and snowy driving conditions, only to wake up the 80 degree temperatures earlier in March. Another anomaly of weather conditions. But, I'm sure you're not really interested in my weather analysis - I mean I didn't go to school to be a meteorologist.

However, there's all kinds of truths I could glean from this soggy Spring Break week here in Manhattan, Kansas. But you probably don't want to hear that either. You . . . just . . . want . . . it . . . to . . . STOP. . . raining. Sorry, I have no control over that. Only the one who made the heavens and the earth can water the earth; can give or take away blessings. "His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth." (Hosea 6:3b NASB)

What a promise. And, right now, after living through last summer's excessive heat and the winter's barrenness, I'm viewing this week as a blessing. It's the only option; it's the best option; the most perfect option. There is no other.

Oh, and need I state the obvious, right now at this very moment - it is raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment