Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 26 (Campin' on the Porch of Indecision)

On the way home tonight from work as I manhandled the big diesel Dodge Ram through blinding rain and my daily dose of whirlwinds, I had plenty of time to formulate today's blog entry. A few random thoughts even fluttered around during my work day--teasing me. It was supposed to be about discernment, hearing God's voice or not hearing it as the case may be.

I had big plans to research that word "discernment" and then somehow make sense of it in my daily prayer life. You see, for some time, wisdom and discernment have been at the center of my prayers for each of my family members. I've made a point of saying those words over and over again, every day. And, I felt it was about time to analyze on some level this idea of discernment and what it all meant for me and for them. I even did some on-line research, finding lots of good words on the idea of discernment, perception, wisdom, etc.

Then, I turned up the radio and heard one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite artists. Why is it that songs seem to speak such truth? It kind of reminds me of the movie August Rush --only it wasn't words that made the difference, it was the music he heard in traffic, in all the sounds around him, in virtually everything--he found meaning. The sounds marched into music which, in turn, evolved into his way to connect with others. And, isn't that really the discerning part of life? Now, stay with me here.

href="">

Look at some of the words from To Know You. "I'm awake with questions that won't wait for daylight, separating fact from my imaginary fiction." "I need to find a place where you and I come face to face." "I really want to know You." "I want to make each day a different way that I can show You how." "I really want to love You." "I'm just tryin' to figure out Your will." "No more campin' on the porch of indecision." "No more sleepin' under stars of apathy." "Dreamin's not for me." "And I really want to know You still."

"To Know You" by Nichole Nordeman--Its haunting melody and lyrics speak to a desire, a yearning, a struggle--to know more, to love more, to overcome doubts, to "get on with life." Am I really ready for that? I surely, surely hope so. And, I'll faithfully keep praying my family is too!

No comments:

Post a Comment