Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 7 (Kansas High Winds)

I know some of you out there reading this post will relate to the fact that life is not without heartache and pain. God has not promised us an easy way. Whether it be chronic health issues, pain, broken relationships, financial struggles, workplace challenges, anger, most of us have experienced some type of struggle, pain, or trial. It is an inevitable part of the broken world we live in--part of the broken people we live among. Yes, even part of our own--my own--brokenness.

Ten years ago I moved from the bulging metropolis of Kansas City and set up camp out among the tallgrass prairies of Northeast Kansas. Wagons west! And what an adventure it has been. While our two older daughters were not thrilled with the move to small town America, I have found that living on the prairie has brought with it a reverence, an awe, a wonder of creation itself. I don't miss the over-indulgence that some cities bring. I don't miss the crime. I don't miss the traffic. And, as strange as this may sound, I don't miss the shopping malls!

Instead, I love the tallgrass prairie and the roar of the wind. I love the ethnically diverse landscape that comes with a university community. I love my church. I love the open spaces and the constellations that light up my outdoor ceiling.

Depite the surrounding beauty and joy, our journey as a family has been fraught with heartaches and challenges the last several years. Much like the strong high plains winds that move across this part of the world, challenges blow hard across our paths, straining to force us off course.

It all came to me tonight on my 30 minute drive home from work. The skies were still clear, but the wind was viscious along I-70. As I drove my 3/4 ton pick-up home, it became increasingly difficult to keep it lined up straight on the road. Even with 600 pounds of sandbags in the back it wasn't enough to totally tame that prairie wind. I kept both hands on the wheel and kept my focus straight ahead--down the interstate. I determined not to deviate from my course.

Now three hours later it is evident what all the wind was about--driving rain and a laser light show of lightning entertains us across the charcoal sky.

Much like the crazy prairie high winds, the challenges in my life strain and push to move me off course and away from my ultimate purpose. I'm learning that as long as I keep both hands on the wheel and my eyes straight ahead--aimed at the end goal--I'll make it home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment