Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 1 (Ash Wednesday)


ash Wednesday

Day 1 of Lent – Ash Wednesday

As I reflect upon the first day of the new beginning of Lent, I am reminded that for many people Lent is simply a time “to give up something.” It is superficial, at best, just a way to go with the crowd, to follow a time-honored tradition, to exhibit a holiness that may or may not be living down in the deepest wellspring of our heart.

My intention is not to be critical--it is simply an observation and I am just as guilty of a hypocritical nature that is not very attractive.

While to deny the selfishness that enchains all of our hearts is a noble task, what does it truly accomplish in the space of a mere 40 days? For many, it does not become a habit—we simply look forward to Easter morning when we can be released from the burden of the denial and return to our selfish ways. I’m told that it takes 30 days to establish a habit. But does it really?

So what are you giving up this Lenten season? Social media? Chocolate? Fast food? Cussing? Drinking?

Or, will you--like me--think “outside of the box” and step out of your comfort zone and do something out of the ordinary? Serve someone each day, love in extraordinary ways or begin the journey of healing for your own heart? Maybe take a risk like none other. Our life on this earth is so very, very short--don't waste it.

My challenge to myself this Lent is to write a reflection each day focused on these thoughts and many more than consume my brain cells – all in hopes that I am well prepared to meet my Savior this Easter—face-to-face; mind-to-mind; heart-to-heart. Honestly, I’m not sure I’m up for the challenge. I need help each and every day, minute-by-ugly minute to process through the inadequacies of this life.

This is my Lenten Experiment.

I hope you will join me from time to time whether it be for a short read, encouragement, or to help me maneuver through the richness of the Scriptures and the vastness that is our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment