Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 4

The winter of 2011-2012 has been unusual throughout the world. Extreme weather patterns seem to the be the norm. Whether it is the excessive cold and snows in Europe or the parching dryness we have experienced here in Kansas and throughout the upper Midwest. Even into Canada snowfalls have been practically non-existant. And while most of the adult population are thankful for the lack of snow, I'm not in that majority.

Even at my advanced age, I still revel in the frigid winds and marvel at the wonder of billions of microscopic ice crystals clinging together in the web called "snow." It really is amazing to me to watch a fluffy snowfall and to hear its crunch beneath my feet as I walk out into the prairie grasses.

And, that's what I have missed this winter--the wonder and beauty of a world wrapped in white - a world pure and clean. The chill of air filled with ice crystals refreshing, cleansing the earth.

And then I have to step back today and remember the words of Isaiah the prophet:

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth, and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it." (Is 55:8-10 (NASB))

Sometimes I get ahead of myself before I realize that God's thoughts and ways are higher than mine - His purposes and plans are true--He knows when the earth needs rain and snow. He waters the earth in His time, not mine. And, while I miss the snow this winter, I'm learning patience.

Well, it's not yet March - there is still hope for some snow before the spring blooms. Ever hopeful, ever watchful - I'll sit out here on the prairie and wait on the snow; wait on God to accomplish His desires. His timing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment