Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 2

While I committed myself to this writing/reflection goal for Lent, no real, heavy thoughts went into the whys or the hows or the "what was I thinking?" when I embarked on this journey yesterday.

It is now Day 2 and as I look back over the last several weeks, I have been encouraged in so many ways through Beth Moore's study of the Book of James. It is a powerful, yet small book of the Bible that is veritably bursting with conviction.

James was a man who didn't mince words--he spoke to his reader directly and with a forcefulness that the people of our culture would probably find offensive. I, on the other hand, have always felt secure with those who speak plainly, who speak the truth in love--directly. Personally, I appreciate those who are honest with me.

So, I'm going to be honest with you today. The Lenten journey is not an easy one-- it's a dark journey sometimes, and really must be if we are to fully benefit. Not dark in the sense of evil or negative, just challenging, maybe even mysterious as we navigate through the waters of self-denial and penance.

However, it all begins with communion. That sacred sharing of thoughts and feelings with the one who created us. Think about it. Only through this sacred act can we truly understand Him and His ways. It opens up a way for forgiveness, brings healing and growth and empathy for others. While prayer is the beginning of the journey, sacrifice, giving, self-denial all evolve as I give myself over to the journey.

Prayer - Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. (James 5:16, NASB)

Penitence - For Thou does not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; Thou art not pleased with burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise. (Ps. 51:16-17, NASB)

Almsgiving - If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of your says to them, "go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. (James 2:15-17 NASB)

Self-Denial - And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake shall find it. (Matthew 10:38-39, NASB) Be encouraged today, dear friends! The journey is just beginning and God has so much to tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment