Friday, April 6, 2012

Lenten Experiment - Day 37 & 38 (Reflections on Easter)

As I look back at my Lenten Experiment these past several weeks, I'm reminded of Lent as a child and what it meant to me. Growing up in the Catholic Church, all I recall about Lent was keeping to a fishy diet on Fridays and giving up chocolate or candy. It seemed like the adults were more reverent during that time. However, as my Mom prepared me for Easter Sunday, it was all about donning a pretty new dress with white shoes and receiving brightly colored wicker baskets full of plastic green grass cushioning colorful arrays of foil wrapped chocolate eggs and chewy jelly beans. And, of course, the abundance and glory of Easter dinner. My mom literally didn't know how to cook for just three of us. I never understood how an only child such as herself cooked for an army. I think she just liked to try new side dishes.

The obligatory Easter Egg Hunt would commence on Sunday morning even before we went to Mass. It was always a rush around the house for lone, little me. Being an only child, it all was MINE--solid chocolate bunnies, jelly beans (black & orange ones are my favs), large Russell Stover chocolate eggs stuffed with coconut cream, maple (yucky!), strawberry and vanilla cream.

This Easter will be much different than those of my childhood. While I have tried to carry on the traditions established by my mom, this year will be much different. Our family is no longer in tact and we are missing those dear to us who cannot be here this year. It just doesn't "feel" like Easter. Once again, I find myself having unreasonable expectations about what the "perfect" holiday should look like. I know it's crazy, but I've always longed for a larger extended family, but when you and your husband are only children and all your parents are gone, the extended family, the support system just doesn't exist.

It will be a "lean" Easter this year - no extravegant meal, no new Easter bonnets or dresses, no Easter candy, no frivolities - simplicity will be the order of the day. And, as I reflect on this, it'a all about viewing the day with a grateful heart for those who are here, for the time we have, for the miraculous gift of this most sacred of days. For many, Christmas is probably the highlight of the year, but when weighed next to Easter and its true meaning, there is no greater celebration than the meaning of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment