Sunday, May 13, 2012

O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! (Psalms 34:8 NASB)

Have you ever experienced a time when certain words, images, or phrases just seem to overtake your mind?

I've had this phenomenon assault my psyche the last couple of weeks . . . and those are the words that can't seem to leave my mind. More specifically, they are "Taste and see the goodness of the Lord." I couldn't remember where they were found in the scriptures so today I decided to look them up.

The second half of the verse stopped me in my tracks. I'm blessed if I take refuge in Him! Wow, what a thought. Now I know why the Spirit wouldn't allow me to rest. God had a word for me - I just needed to keep listening.

So many times when we are going through difficult circumstances, we try to handle them ourselves, we retreat & give up, or worst of all we deny the problem is even there. But, how many times do we seek the safety, the tower, the stronghold God has built for us? It is only in Him that we can find rest.

I am reminded of the images in Psalms 91 that speak to God's role as protector (much like a mother bird protecting its young). "He will cover you with His pinions, And under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark."

No comments:

Post a Comment